The election may be over soon, but Trump's far-right supporters are here to stay.
While some seem to look at the 40% support Trump as his ceiling, I choose to look at it as his floor, a level of adherence that isn’t likely to go away in the new Republican Party we are going to see constituted in the wake of the election. The degree of support for Trumpism has become constant because the Democratic Party has forced down our throats not the clear popular choice for the nominee, i.e., Bernie Sanders, but the candidate that was at the absolute forefront of the accelerated second phase of neoliberalism during the Bill Clinton presidency (after the relatively tentative and half-successful stabs at it in the Reagan era).
Trump is not incorrect when he paints his picture of hell in American cities.
Enormous swaths of the larger Houston metropolitan area seem to have been abandoned to primal wilderness, lacking basic infrastructure, decent schools, safety and recreation, even access to good food and clean air and water. Directly east of downtown lies the Fifth Ward, as close a realization of Trump’s apocalyptic vision as I have ever seen.
Trumpism cannot take on globalization without also taking on multiculturalism.
The neo-populists see no way around neoliberal globalization except through overcoming multiculturalism. They see those unfairly benefiting from the multicultural model as being the cause of their misery, their perpetual uncertainty in the new economy, because there is no telling when their jobs might be permanently lost due to lower wages in other countries or because of unfair competition from immigrants who ought to have less of a rightful claim than natives. Whether it’s called France for the French, Germany for the Germans, or Make America Great Again, the idea is the same. at 07:57
naked capitalism links
Blame the Internet of Things for Destroying the Internet
It probably wasn’t Russia who attacked the Internet today. That’s what’s scary. Since when is losing access to Amazon “scary” to anyone other than Amazon execs and shareholders
Scary is when someone takes the electrical grid down at 07:34
On politics, he sounds less than crazed.
Trump Lays Out His Plan For First 100 Days In Office In a keynote speech in Gettysburg at 07:23
NSA Whistleblower: US Intelligence Worker Likely Behind DNC Leaks, Not Russia
According to Binney, the FBI has access to the NSA database and that it’s accessed without any oversight, meaning the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), as well as the FBI, have open access to anything the NSA has access to. “So if the FBI really wanted [Clinton’s and the DNC emails] they can go into that database and get them right now,” Binney told Klein. at 14:42
Obama Warned of Rigged Elections Back in 2008 (video clip)
Despite condemning Trump for suggesting an election can be rigged, here is a clip of then-candidate Barack Obama in 2008 warning about voter fraud and suggesting Republicans could try to sway the election in their favor. “Well, I tell you what it helps in Ohio, that we got Democrats in charge of the machines,” Obama said regarding the threat of election-rigging. at 07:58
The Archdruid Report
A crisis of legitimacy in the United States.
Half a century ago, most Americans assumed as a matter of course that the United States had the world’s best, fairest, and most democratic system of government; only a small minority questioned the basic legitimacy of the institutions of government or believed they would be better off under a different system. Since the late 1970s, however, federal policies that subsidized automation and the offshoring of industrial jobs, and tacitly permitted mass illegal immigration to force down wages, have plunged the once-proud American working class into impoverishment and immiseration. While the wealthiest 20% or so of Americans have prospered since then, the other 80% of the population has experienced ongoing declines in standards of living.
Will Hillary be regarded as legitimate by the governed? Smith
The ruling elite has lost the consent of the governed. The ruling Elite is privileged and protected, the governed are unprivileged and unprotected. That's the divide that counts and the divide that is finally becoming visible to the marginalized, unprivileged class of debt-serfs. at 00:07
Patrick J. Buchanan
The establishment fears many people no longer accept its political legitimacy
It may rule and run the country, and may rig the system through mass immigration and a mammoth welfare state so that Middle America is never again able to elect one of its own. But that establishment, disconnected from the people it rules, senses, rightly, that it is unloved and even detested. at 00:03